Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Fun with Adapters - Part 1, Mamiya 645 to E Mount

One of the many reasons I enjoy shooting the Sony E Mount series of cameras, this includes the A7 line and A6000 as well as my NEX-VG30 video camera, is that there is no shortage of adapters that allow photographers to mount a wide variety of glass onto their cameras. Which is great because there are so many brilliant pieces of glass out there that deserve to be shot on the Sony E Mount line. 

The first such adapter that I bought and tried out was a Hasselblad to Sony E Mount. You can read about that and view some sample photos right here.  The results of this strange lens / camera combination were extremely impressive. So, I figured, why stop there? Let's go ahead and find as many adapters as possible because as it stands, I have an extremely wide variety of great glass that would be fun to mount and shoot on my Sony's. 

I have two Mamiya-Sekor C lenses for my Mamiya 645 1000S medium format film camera. Both the 45mm and the 55mm are marvelous lenses. I sent my Mamiya 645 1000S into the shop for a CLA, there's nothing wrong with it but I really like my repair guy here in Seoul, South Korea and I figured it was a good idea to give a nice CLA to as many of my film cameras as I can before I leave the country. I have high doubts about finding as good a repair guy as this guy for as reasonable a price as he charges me anywhere else in the world. That being said, the 55mm lens is on the camera, which is at the shop, but I do have the 45mm sitting on the shelf so I picked it up and mounted it to see how the pictures look. So far, I like what I see. 

Snapping the lens into place into the adapter took a little practice and for a while I was worried I have a bad product because the lens wasn't "snapping" into place. When I turned the focus ring the lens would come loose and I thought "That's not right". I kept at it for a minute and eventually, mind you, I still don't know what I did to get it to snap into place, but it did and it fits nice and snug. Take a look at the adapter, lens and camera and then check out the final image below which is a nice sample...


Mamiya-Sekor C 45mm f/2.8 lens mounted on Sony A7R

****************
Below you see a nice sample image taken with this lens adapter / Mamiya-Sekor C 45mm f/4 lens mounted on my Sony A7R. Naturally, there's always a variety of camera laying around my room, so there's never a shortage of subjects for a quick photo sample. 


No comments:

Post a Comment