Sunday, May 6, 2018

An Afternoon in Kansas City with the Sony RX100 IV

I had to go to Kansas City for two weeks recently for work (I was attending a two weeks course at the US Army SHARP Academy at Fort Leavenworth). This was therefore, not a photography trip, in fact, the only camera I brought along with me was the compact, fixed lens, yet highly capable, Sony RX100 IV. I've utilized this camera so much more than I ever though I would since purchasing it several years ago while I was living in Korea.

This little camera is a "mighty might", it's hard to believe how many features Sony is able to pack into an extremely small form factor. The 24-70mm f/1.8 lens, combined with the 20 megapixel stacked CMOS sensor captures amazing details and color. The camera is small enough to fit into any pocket, it even fits into some of my shirt pockets.

I was only able to spend one day in Kansas City. I went with a group of 4 people so I didn't have complete freedom of time and movement but we collectively hit a few of the popular tourist attractions and I was able to snap some nice photos in the short time I visited the city. We were able to enjoy the impressive and awesome World War I National Memorial and Museum, Union Station and the model train exhibit, Negro Leagues Baseball Museum and historic Fort Leavenworth. I've only included a couple of photos from Fort Leavenworth because I will be showcasing those photos in a separate blog post coming soon.

The people of Kansas City that I met were hospitable, friendly and courteous. I had been anxiously anticipating enjoying some of the famous BBQ that Kansas City is known for, I was not disappointed. We took the advice of a local and decided to eat BBQ at a well-known restaurant called Jack Shack. I had "Burnt Ends" as an appetizer with a combination of Lamb and Pork ribs for my main course. It was absolutely delicious!

Enjoy my photos from Kansas City.


View of Kansas City looking North from the World War I National Memorial.
Union Station in the foreground.


Sony RX110 IV


National World War I Memorial, Kansas City.


Colorful mural at the 19th and Vine jazz music district.


Negro Leagues Baseball Museum








Scale model of Union Station


Inside the Kansas City Union Station, you'll find an impressive model train display














Union Station Main Hall.


Train platform with a reclaimed railroad bridge which has been moved and re-purposed 
as a foot bridge connecting the Freight House restaurants and shops to Union Station.


World War I National Memorial and Museum.







View of the Kansas City skyline looking North from the top of the Memorial Tower.






The ceiling at the entrance of the museum.




The old Fort Leavenworth Federal Penitentiary and
United States Disciplinary Barracks.


Fort Leavenworth Penitentiary Cemetery.

2 comments:

  1. Nice I even learned a few spots i need to revist myself!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was an enjoyable visit and I hope to go back soon. There's so much more to see and experience!

      Delete