Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Fujifilm X20 - My First Impression

Let me first state that I am writing this blog post about the Fujifilm X20 after being in possession of mine for less than 6 hours. I picked it up from the post office earlier this afternoon and haven't really messed with it that much. I bought my Fujifilm X20 from eBay for $302 USD, a great deal.

Let me also state that the Fujifilm X20 is not the newest Fujifilm camera in this category. They have since come out with the X30. However, if you are not in desperate need of the "latest and greatest" you can save money by buying last years model, used. Which is exactly what I did.

I've only just walked in the door from work...

Needless to say, this post is populated with literally, my first impression.

What is the Fujifilm X20?

The X20 is a compact digital camera, shooting 12mp on a 2/3 APS-C sensor. Fujifilm does not currently make a full-frame digital camera, opting to focus on producing high quality APS-C cameras. There are some advantages to this, which you can read about in more detail on the Fuji web site here http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/x/fujifilm_x20/features/page_02.html

But the feature that really caught my attention on this camera is the "Film Simulation". I have been shooting more and more film lately and I was curious to see if the "look" of film can be duplicated on a digital camera.

I bought this camera used but it arrived in "like new" condition in the original box and included everything in the box that would have originally come with the camera had I purchased it new. It also came with a few extras; two extra batteries, a small, new camera case (that I will never use so it will go for sale on eBay, a 2 GB memory card (will suffer the same fate as the case) and a thumb rest grip which I am still not sure if I like it or not.

The lens is a fixed 28-112mm zoom lens. Fixed, meaning it is not interchangeable. But sometimes that's what I want to carry around, just a simple, compact camera. I don't always have the need to carry around multiple lenses and other gear. For example: if I am taking the dog for a walk (I don't currently have a dog) I just want to grab a small camera without sacrificing too much quality.

I recently added a superb Sony RX100 IV to my camera inventory and this Fuji does overlap as far as my needs go. But one of the things that gives me pleasure in life is having a choice. And while the Fuji isn't even in the same league as the Sony, there are still a lot of features that make it attractive.




The very first shot with my Fujifilm X20




Color and detail is impressive!


The Fujifilm X20 offers a "super macro" mode and can focus as close as 1cm from the subject!


Black and white film simulation mode looks good.


Captures nice detail. The clouds cooperated and offered some stunning images.

2 comments:

  1. loved the x20.. specially the viewfinder feature which the x10 dont have...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was wondering about how good the EVF is on the X30. Also, now that I have added a lens hood, it obstructs the optical viewfinder a little bit.

      Delete