Thursday, June 12, 2014

Meet Sungjin Kim - Amazing Photographer from Korea


I can't recall how I first encountered the photography of Sungjin Kim. I know that at some point, I followed his Facebook page and later we added each other as friends on our personal pages. But I can say that I was extremely impressed from the moment I first gazed at one of his photos. He must be an excellent hiker because he'd have to be to get to some of the locations from which he shoots amazing landscapes of Korea.

He was kind enough to answer a few interview questions and proved some of his favorite photos for this blog feature. We have made arrangements to have dinner together along with another one of his photographer friends, John Steele. I'm looking forward to it, I'm sure I can learn a lot from this seasoned expert!

He has won numerous awards and his work has been featured in National Geographic and many other photography competitions.

For more go to his web site at http://www.sjkimphotos.com/

How long have you been shooting photos and how did you get started?
I started photography since late 2005 after seeing some beautiful picture from National Geographic magazine and got inspiration. At first, I didn't have enough money to buy a camera so I stopped smoking and bought it on an installment.

I read in your Biography that you are in the IT industry. Any aspirations of leaving IT to shoot photos full-time?
I always eager to be a full-time professional photographer and always thinking of business plan to make it.

What are the pros and cons of sharing your photos online for free versus selling them?
Pros : I can make people happy who love my photo works by sharing online and there are some advantages of being known by the media.
Cons : There are some possibilities of infringement of copyright by using my photo illegally without permission

Do you watermark all your photos?
I mostly watermark all of my photos.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of watermarking your photos?
Advantages : Watermarking prevents some illegal use of my photos
Disadvantages : Watermarks make some distraction to original photos

What are some of your goals and aspirations as a photographer?
I always dreaming to travel the old Silk Road and South America by camping car and shoot some exotic landscape. Also thinking of 365 days shooting project about some selected topic.

Do you take selfies and if so, can we see one?
I'm sorry. I seldom take selfies, so I only have some candid shots of me taken by my friends.







No comments:

Post a Comment