Thursday, October 13, 2016

El Paso Fashion Week - Mercedes Benz Runway Show

UPDATE: Someone from Bazaar Models was nice enough to return my email request for a list of all the designers featured in the show. I have updated the post to give accurate credit for their fashion designs.

***

El Paso is trying, trying really, really hard and that's all you can ask for isn't it? While there was no disguising the fact that this was not a runway show in Los Angeles, New York or Paris, it was an excellent effort thanks in no small part to a pair of promising local designers.

My attendance at the show was very much a last minute thing. My neighbors are a wonderful family who I get along with extremely well. Danny, the son, is a car enthusiast, big time. He came over early yesterday to ask if I could shoot a short video of him doing a "burnout" in his dad's 2009 Corvette. One of the tires needed to be changed and he wanted to do a "burnout" before pulling the tire off the car. So I shot a video for him, as a result, I spoke to the mom and dad and they mentioned that their daughter Daniela had a runway show that evening. Daniela is an aspiring model and I feel like can I can give her some direction and advice to get her going, not to mention I'd be happy to shoot some photos for her portfolio. I volunteered my services for the evening and joined the family at the fashion show to snap some photos of Daniela rocking the runway, which she did!

It must be no small task to find enough local models to fill the needs of a runway show, and much like the line up of fashion designers, there were a few outstanding models who caught the attention of the attendees and a few who needed some practice and maybe some good coaching?

I also had my eye on the plethora of cameras and video gear that I spotted around the show and I've highlighted some in my photos below. And with that, enjoy my photos from the El Paso Fashion Week Runway Show hosted by Mercedes Benz of El Paso.


One of my favorite shots of the night, featuring a design by Jose Luis Victoria.


This guy has what looks like a Nikon (right) and a micro 4/3 Olympus (left) attached to a nice leather, double camera harness.


Sony A7S on a simple rig with 5 inch monitor.


Backstage after the show with my neighbor and aspiring model, Daniella


Canon EOS 70D?


Above and below, these two models made the top of my list for most stunning of the show and the exquisite dresses are by Gionni Straccia were some of my favorites.



This woman has no idea how ridiculous she looks shooting video with her enormous iPad. Someone should tell her that her iPhone shoots video too.


This gorgeous wedding dress is by Gionni Straccia.


Some of the best dressed people at the event were not even in the show. This gentleman looks absolutely classy and is setting trends for El Paso. It's this kind of confidence combined with unmistakable style that can help establish El Paso as a new fashion capitol.


Miss Teen El Paso, Abigail Velez.


Daniela, taking a phone call from interested agents bidding to sign her to a big contract, obviously.



Child models often steal the show at local runways, this cute Asian girl won many hearts!


These colorful designs from Nabyl Zarina were the most impressive of the night.




Above: Daniela models a casual dress from Hommework.


The runway show was hosted at Mercedes Benz of El Paso.


Red digital video camera. Outstanding cinema quality video rendering from this bad boy!


Miss Teen El Paso, Abigail Velez




I really liked his fashions but Jose Luis Victoria's logo needs a major redesign. Sadly, the amateurish logo blasted as large as life on the big screen detracted and distracted from the outstanding designs. The logo looks like it was designed for a new gangster rap group who are desperately trying to rip off the Yves Saint Laurent logo in an effort give themselves a luxury appeal, but it falls short because it was designed by that one guy in the rap group that thinks he is a graphic designer with mad skills but in reality he is just high on weed and can't do graphic design for shit.


The model pictured above opened the show and scared everyone with the blank, psychotic stare on her face. Has no one talked to her about this? Or perhaps she's just getting bad coaching? Two thumbs down from this observer.


The first collection of the night was very hit and miss. What I can say is that I appreciate the risks that Jose Luis Victoria took, however, his choices for which designs were shown on the runway leave me less than impressed. Not to mention his god awful company logo.


Perhaps I shouldn't be too hard on him because most of his designs were spot on. Then again, I couldn't locate a web site, Instagram or Facebook page for his company. Maybe they are waiting until the new company logo is released? ;)




As you can see, gorgeous designs, but please, please design a new company logo!






There she is again with that crazy, scary look. Was she on something?


Why would you put this design on the runway. One word comes to mind... frumpy. Perhaps it's just the model slouching and poor posture? Either way, the show director should never have let this on the floor. Really people.


Sony A7S is known for capturing stunning video, even in low light.


The kids models always seem to steal the show.





There's plenty of beauty to be admired in the crowd as well. This gorgeous hispanic woman caught my eye. Lips like a goddess and she did her make up as well as any professional I have ever seen. Her outfit and shoes were classy and sexy.


The Hommework collection was one of the highlights of the runway, showcasing contemporary styles for teens and 20 somethings. Visit their web site here http://www.hommework.com/ to see more fabulous styles and designs!



Daniela Dominguez




So this guy was one of the sharpest dressed men in attendance, however, as exemplified by this photo, he was completely detached and uninterested in the show. And I think that says a lot about the show itself, when the best dressed people in the audience aren't taking an interest, that's bad news.


My favorite designer, by far, was Nabyl Zarina. I'm arranging an interview with her and will save my in depth thoughts for that post. Stay tuned!







Iwa Lee Haute Couture


Iwa Lee Designs from Peru were impressive.




Above: this flamenco inspired dress with stylish choker was simply jaw dropping!



Daniela has her game face on!



Above: Daniela models a casual outfit with leather vest by Kenneth Cole.


Dillard's presented the collection by Kenneth Cole, however, I was more interested in the original collections by local designers.


Daniela has a great look, she was confident and her walk on the runway is quite exquisite. He walk is natural not no labored or forced like a lot of the other models. Well done Daniela!



No comments:

Post a Comment