Monday, February 29, 2016

I Put a Sony RX1RII on my Visa Card Last Night


Sony RX1RII (Image from Google Image Search)

I continue to use the phrase "I must be crazy" or "I should have my head examined" in reference to my camera purchases lately. Actually, this goes back about a year and half, back to when I started elevating the level of my gear and collecting film cameras of all sorts. But today, I find myself actually worried about my sanity. Just kidding, or am I?

You see, it wasn't but two days ago that I decided to up my game with the purchase of a Sony A7RII, arguably the best full-frame, digital camera in the world and not 24 hours later, I went ahead and ordered a Sony RX1RII as well. That's crazy right?

There's no hiding the fact that I just spent a large sum of money on two cameras this weekend. However, there is a justification and a counter-balance to the expenditure. Firstly, I am aiming to produce extremely high-quality images to be printed and framed in large sizes, therefore, the higher resolution will be of great benefit for that. And secondly, I either have already sold or will be selling some now expendable camera bodies to help offset the cost. 

I have already sold my A7R, which I was never entirely fond of to begin with. I sold that for $1,000 USD. I will be selling my A7II, which I actually really like a lot, in fact, it's my favorite camera in my entire collection, however, it is simply redundant to keep it now that I will have the A7RII and I will no longer need a second body with lower resolution, not even as a back up. And lastly, I have already listed my Fujifilm X100S on eBay.

I haven't owned the X100S for very long, and for the first few days I was using it, I thought I would never need something like the RX1RII. But after more shooting, I still don't like the look of Fuji cameras for some reason. I'll probably list the A7II for $1,300 and the Fuji is listed at $750 with a genuine Fuji EF-20 flash. You add those sales with my soon to post tax return and the expenditure on the new cameras is almost covered.

I want the best. The Sony RX1RII is the best full-frame, compact camera. Only the Leica Q can come close, but at nearly $5,000 USD, there was no way I could justify or come close to covering that cost without selling my Leica M3 and M6 which I currently have no desire to do.

I feel good about my new purchases, just as I do about turning the pages as I start the next chapter of my life, leaving Korea after 3 years and going back to the states. I want to trek through the hills and deserts of the Southwest United States and capture memorable images with incredible cameras. I am ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment