Sunday, March 13, 2016

Sony A7RII and Sony RX1RII Video with Sample Images




Sony A7RII (left) and Sony RX1RII (right)

I've always considered myself a fortunate soul. And here I sit at my desk in amazement and wonder, with two of the best cameras in the world. They are not rented or borrowed, they are mine. Strange that I use the possessive term, mine. I thought I had shed materialism long ago, I still think I have. But considering that it was only 7 years ago that I sold everything I owned, including my all my cameras and photography gear, and I now find myself the envy of photography enthusiasts the world over, because I the owner of these two new but already infamous camera models. All I can say it wow.

I have owned nearly every Sony camera model starting with the A33 and A35, all the way up to the A77 and A99. But once I spent time with a few of their mirrorless offerings, specifically the Sony A6000 and A7II, I knew that for me, the big and bulky DSLR's had seen their better days. I sold off my A mount cameras and most of my lenses and swtiched over completely to Sony mirrorless. Like many others, I followed online, the release of the 42mp A7RII. I watched videos and searched over and over for sample images and with each video I watched and each image I viewed, I was increasingly impressed. 

The A7II is no slouch and I suppose I don't really NEED the Sony A7RII, but I live the cliche, you only live once, might as well enjoy the finer things in life, provided they are within reach, are not illegal and the expense won't make you homeless. So I pulled the trigger and bought myself the Sony A7RII as something of a gift to myself in celebration of my reenlistment in the US Army. It helps to know I'll be gainfully employed for at least the next 3 years. It was no or perhaps never. 

The Sony A7RII is nearly identical in design, button layout, size and weight to the Sony A7II, which is a good thing, because I really like the A7II, especially when compared to the A7 and A7R (I never shot with the A7S). The body of the A7 and A7R are plastic, whereas the A7II and A7RII are made of composites, aluminum and magnesium alloy. Also, I never really like the shutter on the A7R, alas, I only kept that camera for a couple months, selling it in part to fund my new A7RII. It was a great move. The shutter on the A7RII is superior to that on the A7R, even the sound of the shutter is more pleasant. 

But this blog post is not a review, I will do a nice review write up another time, for today's entry I just wanted to share some sample photos, so let's get right to it. Here are a few sample images from the Sony A7RII, .jpg straight from the camera, no editing.


Sony A7RII with Zeiss 35mm f/2.8 lens








**********

I knew the moment I took the Sony RX1RII out of the box that it was a special camera. This weight and build of it are exquisite. It's somehow compact and svelte, yet at the same time somehow hefty. I have really been going back and forth between the Sony RX1RII and the Leica Q, as you can see, I obviously chose the former. The Sony RX1RII is priced more than a thousand dollars less than the Sony RX1RII yet packs more resolution into the sensor, the same sensor that's used in the other camera of which this post is written about, the Sony A7RII. There's no doubt the Leica Q produces phenomenal images and there is also little doubt about the quality and unique look of a Leica lens. But Zeiss is no slouch and I saw enough sample images from the RX1RII that made me feel that it is the equal of the Leica.

And here are some sample images from the amazing Sony RX1RII...


Sony RX1RII features a Zeiss Sonnar 35mm f/2 fixed lens.













No comments:

Post a Comment