Monday, October 10, 2016

What's in my Bag - Family Photos

Much like a carpenter, a photographer needs the right tools to assist him to achieve the best possible results for a given job. Today's photo shoot involves family photos shot at various locations throughout El Paso, Texas. I suggested, and the family patriarch concurred, that I shoot him and his two daughters in a documentary / paparazzi style as they enjoy their favorite restaurants and locations around El Paso. In addition, we'll stop at a local park and capture some traditional, posed family photos. What tools would be best for this type of shoot?


Pictured above you see the major components of my kit for today's photo shoot. The camera bodies are the A7II and the A7RII, the two best digital cameras in my inventory. I was contemplating bringing the RX1RII instead of the A7II, but I did not feel that the fixed 35mm lens would be versatile enough for the shoot because I am predicting a lot of walking and movement, I want to have some zoom capability if needed. I've got the A7II mounted with the Sony G 70-200mm f/4 and the A7RII mounted with the Zeiss 24-70mm. These two lenses cover the full range of possible focal lengths that will be required, having them on two bodies means I don't have to stop to change lenses. Both are among the best lenses available for the Sony E Mount system and I am confident I'll be able to achieve some amazing results as these two lenses and bodies are proven winners.

Additionally, I am bringing the Zeiss 85mm f/1.8 prime lens which will be great for portraits in an established shot, such as the family sitting on the grass in the park. And last but not least, the Zeiss 16-35mm wide angle lens, in case I want to get some panorama or wide shots, which I am predicting when we hit the Rim Road lookout point which features a stunning vista of the entire downtown El Paso area and Cuidad Juarez in the background.

I'm bringing a total of 8 batteries, two each in the vertical battery grip on each camera body and 4 extras. This should be more than enough battery power because I do not anticipate shooting for more than 3-4 hours today. I've also put my Sony HVL-F32M flash in my bag today as this will most certainly be needed for portrait shots.

Not pictured - Not included in the above photo but is in my bag would be two dust cloths, an air blower, tons of extra AA batteries for the flash and my double camera harness strap which allows me to carry two cameras securely and simultaneously.

And that's it, I had to wake up a little early to make sure that all batteries were charged and I clean the lenses and blew dust out of my camera sensors. Now comes the fun part, shooting family photos that I am sure they will treasure for a life time!

Have a great day everyone, keep on shooting and never forget "Everything is a Picture!" 

"Everything is a Picture" is copyright FelixGPhoto.com buy your "Everything is a Photo" T Shirt right here http://www.cafepress.com/felixgphoto.1535873906

No comments:

Post a Comment