Monday, April 6, 2015

Zeiss Loxia 50mm or Leica Summilux-M 50mm Hmm?

UPDATE (7 April 2015): I bought the Zeiss Loxia 50mm f/2.

*****

I really want to take advantage of the full potential of my new Sony A7 Mark II. With this in mind, I recently ordered the Sony LE-EA4 adapter which will allow me to use my full inventory of A Mount glass (and I have a lot of those lenses) but I would also like to use some native, full-frame E Mount lenses as well.

Currently, I have only one full-frame lens for my A7 Mark II and that's the 70-200 G zoom lens (I recently ordered the Sony 28-70mm). I have several fantastic APS-C E Mount lenses that I use with my Sony A6000 but I definitely want to make up the deficiency in my full-frame E Mount inventory.

Perhaps my worries will be eased with the arrival of the LE-EA4 adapter, after all, I have two fantastic Minolta 50mm lenses, both the 1.4 and the 1.7 but can they compare in quality to some of the best 50mm glass in the world? Namely, the Zeiss Loxia 50mm which was developed specifically for the Sony E Mount system, or, the Leica Summilux M 50mm?

Both the Zeiss Loxia 50mm f/2 and Leica Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 are considered world class lenses, the best the world has to offer in this focal length but are they worth the money. The simple answer is yes. However, where the decision is made for me on which to purchase (later this year) is the price.

The Zeiss Loxia 50mm is currently selling for around $950 USD and that seems to be a fair market price for a lens of this quality. Surely, a few nice used ones will show up on eBay in the near future, which is a good way to save a little money. Maybe I can get one for 800-ish in a few months?

The Leica Summilux-M 50mm on the other hand, is going to cost you nearly $3000 USD. I've seen a few priced around $2800 but regardless, that's a big price jump. Please note: you'll need an adapter to mount the Leica onto your Sony A7 but the good news is the adapters are really cheap, like $10 USD. Just search for a LM-NEX adapter.

Both are manual focus lenses, so you won't be using them for any action shots, but for studio, portrait and street photography, it might not get any classier or better than these two lenses. I really wish I could justify spending that kind of money on the Leica, but I just can't right now. No big deal, because it's really not "slumming it" to select the Zeiss Loxia, it's right up there with the Leica, held in the highest esteem among professionals and enthusiasts as one of the best 50mm lenses ever made.

I look forward to getting mine!




Leica Summilux M 50mm f/1.4

Zeiss Loxia 50mm f/2 Planar T Lens for Sony E Mount

No comments:

Post a Comment